Thursday, June 3, 2010

Selfish Dreams

It's days like today where I start to seriously question my purpose in life. I wonder when God made me, what was HIS intention for my life and what I would become??

Everything has been so crazy for so long now. I honestly don't know if I'm coming or going. First surgery, then my car, then the wait to start school, then a couple of prolonged, random illnesses and last but not least, most recently, the unexpected tuition cost I got slapped with last week. Seriously, will it ever stop?

I've been trying to work and keep busy as much as possible, but these vicious back-to-back illnesses haven't allowed that. Plus, my part-time job at The Market isn't keeping me scheduled. And of course, the artistry industry fluxes so much, that there is always the dip of lows in between the ridiculously busy times.

It seems like the more I try, the further behind I get and seemingly more and more obstacles get thrown down in front of me with each passing day. It's overwhelming - to the point where I just want to hide away from the world and disappear at times. - And I do, on many occasions, I slink away to bed, turn off my phone and just let everything run it's course in my head over and over again until I finally pass out from exhaustion.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've sacrificed so much to pursue this dream of mine and to make accommodations to do the school thing. I've given up financial security, comfort and luxuries that come with having a good job and not having to worry about money.

My daughter has been the one to suffer the most through this time with me, though she's still too young to understand it all; there have been many times where she's asked me, "Mommy, can we buy this?" and I'd simply have to say no and explain to her that mommy isn't working a lot right now and that we just have to hang tight for a few more months. Thankfully, I have a very sweet child that doesn't throw huge temper tantrums in the middle of retail stores when she doesn't get her way. - There have been several instances where I've had to leave her with friends so that I could work. Thankfully, she's understanding and resilient. - And then there are the many days where I've worked myself sick to the point of exhaustion where she's had to give mommy lots of space and quiet time to recoup. - Thankfully, she's intuitive and loves me regardless.

That's no way for a 5 year old to live. She shouldn't have to carry all that on her little shoulders. So on the days where she gets into a lot of trouble at daycare, like today, in the midst of big transitions, I can't help but feel that I've failed at being a good mom. I wonder if I had been just a little more present lately, would she be acting out this way??

On days like this, I wonder if I'm selfishly chasing a dream without regard for reality. I wonder if this is really my calling. If it will all be worth the struggle and the many sacrifices once I'm finished with school? Will it be a fruitful investment of the time I can't get back with my daughter?

I can usually pray myself out of these kinds of funks, and usually get a reassuring sign that I'm right where I'm supposed to be, but for some reason, this funk is relentless and no obvious signs have surfaced quickly enough for me to recognize any form of light at the end of a very dark, dark tunnel.

So I'm requesting prayers, good juju and prosperity dances be lifted up and sent my way. - Specifically asking for guidance in my life and business, for answers to the many, many questions I have about my future, and for a plethora of patience and grace to keep on keepin' on.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally empathize with you. I feel like I have given up so much to chase this crazy career and a lot of days I look at what I'm doing and don’t even enjoy it anymore. I can't even imagine having the added worry of providing for a child added on to that. But many days I look around and feel that I have forgotten what true happiness is - will my career ever make me happy or do I need to make the rest of my life content? (hence the dating furry).
    I don't have any answers for you but some things to think about:
    - When you are in the midst of doing your job (or following your career path) do you still get a happiness high of excitement at least 75% of the time?
    - Is it a happiness that can be compared to anything else?
    - When you think about the things that “interest” you does anything else pop into your head?

    If your job is something that brings you great happiness, it’s hard to argue against pursuing it. But I know that comes with costs. Maybe there is a happy medium – maybe you teach make-up so that you can have a more stable income? And then pursue fun projects on the side that make you happy?
    Like I said, I don’t claim to have any answers, but I will definitely send some prayers your way that God will give you career and life guidance.

    And if the big man upstairs gives you any tips, please pass them my way too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow so first of all...very insightful advice Nicole! and to that I would just add that you need to remember that you are chasing HAPPINESS. If you constantly feel that you are sacrificing and giving up then maybe your ideal of happiness has changed. Not that you don't want to do makeup...obviously that is a gift you have and a love you have. But I would remind you not to get so attached to a particular ideal of that in your life that you forget to enjoy it, or life. Maybe (for example and I am NOT implying this is true) but maybe it would be better for you to have a steady job and just do makeup when you can...so you are not giving up precious time to other things. Or maybe you should stop trying to do so many makeup gigs until you are done with school. Or maybe...or maybe...or maybe. My point is not that any of these is the right answer but more that you need to find your own "right" answer. My dreams have changed RADICALLY over the years...but I am still in search of happiness. Now it means something different to me though b/c of Michael, b/c of my health etc. So I guess I would just say that MY prayer for you is that you would find a way to be happy with your life and your situations...I worry that you are constantly trying to change everything about your life and seek something NEW...I would love to see you just find happiness where you are. Love you

    ReplyDelete