Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bear-Bear Needs Your Help.

So as most of you know it's been a doozie of a time for us and our beloved pets.

Over the last 2 months our fridge, our dryer and both of our cars have died. - 3 out of 4 have been revived, and I'm very thankful for my in-laws who have graciously lent us their vehicle until we can get our car situation rectified. - But, yes, when it rains, it definitely pours!

In September, our cat, Marble, started having violent seizures. After several vet visits, and attempting every affordable option to try to make her seizures stop with no success, on October 8th we had to make the heart-wrenching decision to euthanize our beloved cat.

That same month we found a cancerous growth on our other dog, Chloe. We were told it was a fast-growing cancer and needed to be removed ASAP. The vet sent us home with a steroid ear drop and thankfully the drops have made the growth almost completely disappear, at least for now, thus buying us some time to budget and save for another eventual surgery.

This past Sunday, we noticed our adopted rescue dog, Bear, wasn't acting normally. He had stopped eating, was very lethargic and laying around more than usual.

On Wednesday evening I discovered a massive growth on the right side of his body. So I immediately called the vet.

From what I understood when we started the adoption process, since we haven't finished paying off Bear's expensive adoption fees, his medical care wouldn't be officially transferred over to our name until those fees were paid in full. So I called my contact at the rescue after the vet advised me to do so just to make sure they didn't want me to take him into the E.R. that night.

We took Bear in Thursday morning as the rescue advised. His mass had ruptured earlier that morning and was draining. I dropped him off and was told the doctor would touch base later that morning.

The vet never consulted with me on what needed to be done - or what would be done - in regards to Bear's care even after I called several times to check on him. - So I had to assume all procedures must have been cleared by a representative at the rescue.

I called Friday morning for an update and was only told that Bear was okay and that he could come home that day. When I arrived to pick him up that afternoon, I had no idea what they had done to him nor did I expect to see that he had been cut into 3 different times, for 3 completely unrelated things.

After requesting to speak directly to the doctor, I learned that the growth was an abscess -- probably from a snake bite -- a drainage tube was put in and would need to be removed next week. He also had a cyst on the left side of his neck that was removed and those stitches as well as the ones due to the abscess would need to be removed in 2 weeks. - Plus they sliced off a growth on the right side of his nose for aesthetic purposes.

So we now have a slashed up, zombie-looking dog, who's grumpy and in a lot of pain, laid up on our couch.

- Well, I had planned to call my contact at the rescue first thing on Monday to see what the official protocol was for this type of situation, however, tonight I received an email from another rescue representative stating that there clearly has been a major miscommunication regarding Bear's medical care and that we are in fact responsible for his medical expenses.

Under normal circumstances, I would be fine with this, but considering that we are still paying off $700 in vet bills from Marble's medical fiasco last month and that we weren't consulted at all about what was considered "necessary care" for Bear versus what we could currently afford, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around it all.

I've asked the rescue if we could make payments towards Bear's medical expenses - including the 2 upcoming follow-up visits he will have to have. I am waiting to hear back. If the rescue declines our offer to make payments, we will have no other choice than to surrender Bear back to them - and we really don't want to do that -- I think you all know how much we love this big ball of white fluffy fur.

So I'm starting a PartyLite fundraiser to benefit Bear's medical care. What kind of deadline the rescue gives me to have Bear's account paid-in-full will directly determine how long I can keep this fundraiser open. But for now, I'm looking to close it out on November 9th, roughly 2 weeks from now.

If you'd like to order, take a look at the fundraising brochure below:

Please feel free to email, call or text me directly with your orders:

If you'd rather order Mary Kay products, I will be submitting a benefit order around the 16th of November for those of you who need products. (No friends/family discounts will be applied to this order.)

Thank you so much for all your prayers and concern over sweet Bear. He's such a good dog and just can't get a break. 

***UPDATE - 10/28/2013***
I've had several people ask about just sending in donations since I've posted this. You may absolutely do this via PayPal. The email address associated with my PayPal account is:

Or you may mail a check directly to:
Sylvia Fox, 314 Forrest Park Rd, Madison, TN 37115

***UPDATE - 11/2/2013***
Bear is doing really well and is on the fast-track to recovery.  His drainage tube was removed on Wednesday and the doctors were very impressed with his progress.  He goes back this coming Wednesday to have all his stitches removed.

I spoke to the rescue and they have agreed to work with us on Bear's medical expenses.  They sent me a copy of Bear's adoption agreement and advised me to take those with us to Bear's next appointment to have his care officially transferred into our name so that we will always be included in the decision-making process in regards to future care he receives from there.

I will be submitting both PartyLite AND Mary Kay fundraising benefit orders this month.  I will plan to close out both orders around the 15th or 16th.

Thus far, we've raised about $250.  Thank you again to all who have shared our story, placed orders and/or donated via PayPal!  Every little bit helps!